Monday, July 24, 2006

With toes at the edge of the cliff

A moment has arrived. I was walking the sometimes bumpy and windy path towards my goal in the hopes of having passed many hurdles. Today I have cause to pause and choose to awaken to the next big leap. The path has led me to a cliff, and I am standing on the edge with my toes floating partially into the abyss of uncertainty.

And I am having trouble moving.

I have run along a few side paths trying to avoid the cliff, but I will not go down to the valley of the shadow of death, and I want to reach the victorious mount on the other side. I can no longer ignore my choice.

And I am having trouble moving.

I teeter, I shrink back from the edge, tears welling up in my eyes. The next step is my responsibility and I cannot stay on the edge forever. The burden of choice lies upon my shoulder and it is becoming heavier every day. Like Atlas, I am carrying the world.

And I am having trouble moving.

Part of me know that if I jump to hastility I could fall to the dreaded valley. Part of me knows that if I make the right move I will find the not so visible but secure stairway that will guide me upwards. I just need a little faith.

And I am trembling.

And I am watching my toes.

And I lift my first foot...

3 comments:

c.l.beyer said...

I love the picture this post conjures up in my mind. And the toes -- perhaps insignificant and unattractive -- are the first things bold enough to meet the challenge of faith's journey.

Great blog! I appreciate your candor.

AZD said...

This reminds me of Johsua chapter 3. The Israelites were apprehensive about crossing the Jordan. But as soon as the Priests (with the ark of the covenant before them) put their feet in it became dry land and they were able to enter Canaan.

Anonymous said...

Very good stuff... yet my eyes are still glazed after seeing your photo. so friggin' gorgeous...

sigh...