Monday, March 27, 2006

Confessions of a shoe snob

Today I walked into work, and in my regular pre-shift check in with my pal Ryan, we had a little chat about his shoes and whether or not they work out well with his outfit. Interestingly enough, this type of conversation is not foreign to my chats with Ryan. After it was all over, I kinda smiled to myself, and realized just how these types of conversations got started. It was all because of my confession - (insert dramatic pause here) - Friends, I am a shoe snob - (insert gasp here).

Yes, yes, it's harsh I know, but I have been guilty of judging a person's outfit, nay, whole exterior based on their shoes. I don't know why that is, but I do it. If anyone ever says "Don't worry, nobody's going to look at your shoes!", worry because I will be that person. Really.


You may be wondering what makes a terrible shoe/outfit combination? Well, there's broad range of shoe fashion crimes that are commited daily ranging from slight misdemeanors to the really heinous. Most often, people are simply guilty of wearing shoes that do not match their outfit. (Even I am guilty of this at times - running out quickly to the store and grabbing the first pair of shoes...) In other words, it's simply a matter of unbalance. For instance, wearing a nice business suit to a dance and wearing a pair of running shoes. Not good. But yet, this does differ from sporting Chuck Taylor's with a vintage suit, which is of course acceptable because the styles are the same! One must be conscientious of the feel of the outfit and manage to find footwear that fits in.

Other crimes include wearing shoes until they are practically falling off your feet. It's not pretty folks. They may be your favs, but if so, please keep them to minimal use. It can make the outfit look unfinished. Well, and sometimes you just have to admit they're dead. Yes, lay down those dogs and let them lie. Another crime is not realizing that your shoe choice is just plain...well, outdated. I mean, retro is retro, and old is just old. It's a fine line and sometimes is not so obvious, but part of you has to be ready to admit that what was cool in 1990, say neon coloured jelly shoes. might not fly today unless you of course have a really, really good outfit to go with them (see above). And sometimes things get heinous, well, because, there really isn't anything any else to call it. Though, I guess I'm trying to border on not being too critical. But alas, there will always be things you'll never wear, right? For instance, the dead cows pictured here.


Anyway, enough from this snob. Make you own decisions everyone. And be true to your own choices! In the end, my opinion won't matter.

Oh, and props to www.badshoe.com for helping me find such great pictures. Seriously, a fun site, check it out.

Go on, step out in style.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I am not really a shoe snob but the last time when we were hiring a new admin asst in my office, I voted against a woman because she was wearing an all black professional type outfit and bright pink suede shoes. It was just so wrong.

girl said...

That is just plain wrong - ugh. I mean if you're gonna do black with pink, at least add and accessories or something that ties the colour in. (I've done this type of outfit before- think black dress, pink belt and earrings. I'm huge on accessories.

girl said...

Oh, and Tuffy, dont' worry, sometimes you just have to forgive! ;)

Unknown said...

Good post!I always prefer the good match shoes for my outfit..and that will be mostly from branded like Nike shoes.