Monday, July 10, 2006

Honestly Progressive

What an interesting weekend. It was a full on drama queenish weekend, plenty of angst and emotional rollercoaster moments. Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but when one hasn't had some drama for a while, it kinda seems that way. This weekend was all about learning something about myself and helping a friend do the same. It's amazing how well that works. :)

You see, this weekend there was a bit of a breakdown in truly right actions between myself and a good friend, we slipped easily into a bit of a self-serving style - as in we were both a little more concerned with our own sensibilities than really thinking out how our actions were effecting the other. To admit that is sad, but necessary. But I feel that things are all the better for it. The events opened up an opportunity to do something God has long being calling me to do: to be outright and honest.

That sounds simple enough, I know, but let me stipulate that I am a girl who often with stew or brush away angers and hurts rather than confronting the issue. I like to hide at times (right, Jay?). I was convicted long ago about these actions by another good friend, and I've been really wanting to strive to be better at being honest and open in loving way to my friends. I say loving because honesty doesn't mean bluntness and rudeness, it means calling someone on wrong actions, and laying open your own wrongs. This weekend was a prime example about how sometimes things need to be flushed out and talked about. It was really good to know that it could be done, and neither of us ended up hating each other. Funny, I guess I now have the "proof" I needed that it's ok to work that way.

I feel like I'm growing up a little.

No comments: