Saturday, March 18, 2006

A little slow on the uptake

Ok, so I'll admit it, I'm a curling fan. It's one of my all-time favourite things to watch in the winter olympics, but alas this year, I didn't get to watch nearly as much of the goings on in Torino as I would have liked. And this remains my excuse for being so slow on the uptake...

You see, I knew that the Canadian onlympic men's team was from Newfoundland, and yes, having grown up there knowing quite a few great curlers from Labrador City, I was very proud. But was I wasn't was "in" on the fact that, well, being proud of Labrador City curlers and the Olympic teams meant I should be doing one and the same. Yes, if you can believe it, about a month too late, I came home to Kitchener and walked into my Mom asking me "Hey, didn't you used to play with Mike Adams? And don't you know Mark Nichols?" And I was like, "Yeah, why?" Well, as it turns out Mark played in the gold-winning game and Mike was an alternate. Holy crap! Talk about amazing. I'm so much more proud now! I know Olympic athletes - and I grew up with them in the middle of nowhere in Labrador! Imagine that!

Here is a link to a pic of the team - Mike Adam, with whom I played many an hour of hide-and-seek with is on the far left, and Mark Nichols, with whom I shared a school and acted in plays with his sister is second from the right.

No comments: