Friday, October 28, 2005

Under African skies

As of the 18th (I think) of this month, I have been safe and sound in RSA and having quite a good time. (Don't worry, the weather here is not too hot, really - it ranges from bitter cold winds to hot sun seeing as we're on the Cape, and the winds come straight from the Antartic at times). We landed in the morning - it was so touching, my aunt was teary-eyed and full of joy at seeing us, along with my uncle and cousin, and even his partner - everyone came to see us off the plane! We made the drive back to Lakeside (near Zandvlei) and "suburb" of Cape Town proper, where my aunt and uncle live and settled in to life here.

I have to say, there was something just so awesome about landing here. I don't think I believed it, but there is something really African in me - I've been told that it's something in my blood that will never go away, and it just seemed so happy the minute I stepped onto African soil. Deon, my cousin's partner, swears that Africa knows - and being born here guarantees that I will have that pull forever...sigh...it's hard to explain, really, but I'm so glad to be here.

It's been a real treat getting to know my family, basically for the first time in my life. There have been lots of stories about life in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) where we are all from - stuff that I've never really heard about seeing as I've been in Canada for most of my life. We've visited Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch, Simon's Town, the Boulders (to see African penguins) and much more...so many pictures, so many stories. Tomorrow we're having a grand celebration to celebrate my 24th b-day, then Christmas (the first ever together) and Anniversaries. It's going to be great...

Time's running out...I'll add more when I can!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FELICITY! I have it as my MSN message, but you can't see it. Oh well! Anyway, I'm glad you updated. I have been checking back regularly to see what's up. I'm so excited for you and happy you're having such a great time.
xoxo Tuffy.

Jen Galicinski said...

happy belated felic....i'm soooooooo glad that you are having a good time in Africa...i've been reading your blog.....i love you tons and am praying for you baby....hugs and kisses.....

love,
jen

Irish Tim said...

Hi Felicity

I am so glad that you are having a great time discovering your roots. It must be kindof crazy all the stuff that you are learning.

I hope that the next few months continue to be a blessing to you.

Much love
Irish Tim