Friday, June 30, 2006

Butterflies on the subway

Ever just have one of those delightful moments when things are just understood between you and someone else? Love those. In fact, I had one just the other day on the subway. I was coming home from meeting with my spiritual director. I got on at St. George and sat down. I happen to just glance over and see a rather cute boy sitting in the juxopposite seat. I did a double take/lingering look. I tried to make it look casual. Apparently it wasn't casual enough because the gentleman sitting next to said boy happened to notice me looking, he smiled at me and went back to his newspaper.

Just before getting to Bathurst, the cute boy stood up and moved toward to door. To get there, he had to pass me, so I moved my bag to let him go by. He quietly said "Thank you", and I said "You're welcome". There was a small moment. I could feel the cute boy was looking at me as the train was coming to a stop. I'm certain I blushed, but still couldn't bring myself to stare right back at him. I just locked my eyes on the floor. I barely stole a glance just as the boy stepped off the train (and out of my life). At that moment, the gentleman reading his newspaper looked directly at me again and said "Why'd you let him get away?" I blushed, smiled and laughed.

It was a moment.

2 comments:

alison said...

such a sweet moment felicity.

he was meant to bring you that smile. :)

Merry Man said...

I'm smiling at this story now too. Maybe you can find a whirlwind romance on tomorrow's commute, but at the very least you've certainly spread a few smiles.

As "leasts" go, that's pretty darn good.

/of course, you could always have a T-shirt made with your phone number on it for next time. :P