Friday, April 14, 2006

Watch by the cross

At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" - which means, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" (Mark 15:34)

Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." A jar of wine was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished". With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19: 28-30)

Today is Good Friday. Today is the day that my Saviour died. He died on the cross so that I may be saved from evil, from all sin, and so that I might have everlasting life. For this reason, I stand by the cross today, and forever more. God gave up his only son, the physical manifestation of His own holiness, to a brutal death, just as it was foretold in the book of Isaiah.

In a world where there are so many moments where we want to cry out ourselves saying "My God, what have you forsaken us?", isn't it right to take a moment and realize that those words have already been uttered by the One whose life was closest to God, they did not go unheard. The cries of our suffering Messiah were not in vain, because the lamb taken to the slaughter was risen from the dead in three days time and with that comes freedom and salvation.

You may disagree with what I am saying, you may just think of today as a day to be off of work, you may even this that I am crazy. But again, in a world such as we live in, I'd rather cling to hope than to death, because I know death has no power over me.

For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you will also appear with Him in glory. (Colossians 3:4)

1 comment:

Jen Galicinski said...

preach it sister!

amen.

love and miss you....
Jen in Korea