Sunday, September 03, 2006

And Ben Harper cried.

Last night, if things were crazy enough with the move - I got a call from my friend Melissa at around 7pm asking me if I wanted to brave the dismal rain to see Ben Harper play at the Molson Ampitheatre at about 8pm. Now, this is (almost) a tough call. On one hand we've got the curse of Ernesto - damn rain! On the other hand we've got a FREE concert to see an amazing performer. Hmm...

In this case Ben won. I got layered up - leggings, jeans, tank top, long sleeve, t-shirt, sweatshirt, vest and rain jacket. I packed some garbage bags and a winter hat for good measure. I even put plastic bags in my shoes to keep my feet more dry. Off I went - and trust me, it was worth it! Ben played for such a long time. Wow! I couldn't believe it!

It was also funny how Melissa and I spent the entire time talking to two random guys from Barrie. They were both kinda young, and fun. One of them was a Newfie, so we bonded in that way. But what was especially weird, in some senses, was that the "sport" of chatting up random people at a concert had no appeal for me. Gone was the thrill linked to flirting or ever-so-slightly leading someone on by not pushing away their advances. Gone. I was much more into the music.

Just as well, seeing as Ben came on for two encores - both almost 35 minutes each - and he just rocked it. He dedicated a tune to us on the lawn, and when he was about to leave the stage he was so in the moment he looked like he was going to cry.

Now that was worth it.

No comments: