Monday, December 19, 2005

A really busy weekend

Today I feel like I need a day off after my weekend off. This weekend just zoomed by, leaving me feeling tired and with the sense that not much was accomplished, including sleeping properly. Don't get me wrong, this weekend was great fun, I just went full throttle and now, I've got a case of the Mondays. (Please reference Office Space).

On Friday, we had a good-bye celebration for two girls from my church, Rachel and Heidi, who have both been accepted to do an exchange program overseas for the next few months. I'm so excited for them! So, we had dinner and drinks, and then made our way to Supermarket (in Kensington) to dance the night away. We cut a rug, we danced up a storm...ugh, enough clichés. In fact, me and one of my friends actually danced right up until the last song - not bad considering I wasn't actually going to go dancing at all. It was just fun!

Going out dancing is such an interesting experience every time you go, but I'm finding it all the more interesting lately when I go out with my Christian friends. My first time I went, I didn't actually believe my friend Leslie when she said going dancing was Freedomizers was nuts because you've never seen a crazier bunch of dancers. Well, I know now that this is true - I've never seen a more wild bunch (have we met Luke Minaker???) and I've never seen a co-ed group go dancing while leaving so much space between them. (We leave room for the Holy Spirit! ha!)

This past Friday was an yet another interesting experience, in the sense that it shed a little light on my Freedomize boys. The boys we were with were quite offended by the club pick-up mentality of the guys dancing around the dance floor. I've gone out with protective friends before, but these boys seemed exeptionally apalled by the fact that there were boys just hovering near us girls. (Something girls HATE!) I've got to admit that it made me feel all the more appreciative of the non-overtly-sexualized way that boys and girls try to relate to each other in Christian terms. I mean, I can take care of myself in a club - in fact I get quite fiesty, but all the same, it was touching to know that my guy friends wanted nothing more than for us girls to have a fun time without feeling like we were a part of the meat market. Moral of the story: Props to you Freedomize boys!

Saturday flew by admist the stress of trying to get errands done - I felt terrible seeing as I couldn't even get everything done I wanted to. Before I knew it it was time to get prepped and beautied up for Handel's Messiah at Roy Thompson Hall. Talk about an amazing experience! I've never been to the Messiah before, and it's quite awesome to sit and hear almost a hundred and seventy voices singing words taken directly from the Bible - all of which tell the Truth. Wow! It was also really nice to spend an evening out with Freedomizers in a different context. We all got to dress up, dresses and suits, and have a good time. I definately looking forward next year. I can't past up an opportunity to get dolled up and hear amazing music. :)

Sunday was another full day - the morning was spent visiting Lorna and Kiwi (my dad's elderly second cousins and my closest relatives in Canada) having tea, which is always nice. I have been going to see Lorna and Kiwi in Toronto since before I can remember. In fact, they even have a picture of me when I first came to Canada at the age of about eighteen months old! After tea I rushed off to a choir practice with my friends to prepare for our debut at the service last night. Everything went relatively well - although we did flub a little, I think it sounded pretty damn good for a first go at things. I'll keep you all posted on more choir info. I was glad though that we did get a good reception, I really wanted nothing more than to share something I really love with the people of Freedomize!

I'm sad to say I find myself tired, and ready for bed...I really do need as rest after my weekend off...

1 comment:

RTF said...

Felicity,

Yes, 'twas a good Friday night. Yeah, while at the Supermarket, those guys THOUGHT they were in the meat section (the Meat Market); little did they know they were in the Canned goods section and purusing just around the WHOOP ASS shelf.

Good times, peace,

T