Friday, December 30, 2005

Oh the things you do...

Today, from my friend Anthony I got a new website to check out - it's called FactMonster. So much fun - it's got all sorts of neat quizzes and games (I've done most of the quizzes about Harry Potter already) and it's perfect for a little information junkie like myself. So, once again, I'm inspired to write out some fact that I've found.

Guess who else was born on my birthday? Fanny Brice - yup, the very person that the musical Funny Girl was based on. You can read some neat facts on the true Fanny Brice
here, and if you haven't seen the movie, I suggest you do because it's a Barbara Streisand classic. I also share the same birthday as Richard Dreyfuss, everyone's favorite star from What About Bob? and Mr. Holland's Opus, as well as cleptomaniac Winona Ryder (nee Winona Horowitz, who's dad produced the original Batman series).

Guess what happened on my birthday in years past? In 1787, Mozart's Opera Don Giovanni debuted in Prague. In 1929, the New York Stock Exchange crashed on Black Tuesday, precipitating the Great Depression. And in 1998, John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, returned to space at age 77.

Guess what happened the year I was born? The year of 1981 was full of adventure as it was the year that AIDS was first identified, the year that Pope John Paul II wounded by gunman and the year that Ronald Reagan became the 40th US President and then went on to nominate Judge Sandra Day O'Connor, 51, of Arizona, as first woman on the US Supreme Court.

Very random. Check out your birthday.

No comments: