Monday, November 07, 2005

Safe, Sane and Single

Ladies and gentlemen, I am once again on Canadian soil and I am safe, sane, and even single. No eloping for me, at least not yet anyway. hehehe!

I landed in Canada on a delayed flight from London Heathrow, rather tired, seeing as I woke up at 5 am in London and didn't even sleep a wink on the plane - but I did managed to last until 9pm in Canada (2 am London time) and I'm hoping that my jet lag isn't going to get worse. I'm not surprised that I'm tired, though, seeing as our last few days in England were action packed. My godmother was very intent on making sure we saw as many sights as possible in our short time visiting with her. On our first day, just off a 12 hour flight and 2 hour train ride, we were whisked off to visit the picturesque village of Lacock where some of the first Harry Potter movie was filmed. Then it was off for a quick freshening-up and we off again for dinner at a true English pub and to meet my father's cousins (and their families) both of which my father has not seen in over 60 years! It was really cool to make yet another family connection, and one I don't think any of us expected to make!

The next day was another busy day, as Coral (my godmother) had organized a reunion lunch for a bunch of nurses who all trained with her and my mother in Zimbabwe, some of which my mother hasn't seen in about 40 years! It was so much fun hearing the ladies swap stories about the pranks and adventures they would have while they were training, ranging from pretending to be dead and frightening the staff to sending notes of the balconies while on night shift. Ha! One lady even let it slip to me that apparently my mom was a bit of a drama queen herself - now that explains a lot!

On our next day, we managed to have a lovely day of sight-seeing in Bath. What an amazing city! We were really lucky to have a break in the rainy weather so we hopped on a double decker bus and went around the town. I managed to get a few good shots in, but stupidly I forgot to charge my camera, so the pictures were limited. (I'll get more from Mom soon enough!) We also had a chance to go around the Roman Baths, which were actually surprisingly interesting, in the sense that I didn't know quite how much I was going to enjoy the tour. I can't believe how old the baths are, and just how intact they are too. Very cool. I highly recommend spending the pounds to see them, it's worth it. Oh, it's also worth tracking down a Bath bun and a Sally Lunn bun too - it can't hurt having traditional English treat, can it?

Soon enough it was out last morning there, and we were on our way back to Canada - probably a good thing too, seeing as patience was running a little thin on the family front and we were all getting a little annoyed with each other. We spent the night in London near Heathrow just to rest our heads, and it was back on the plane again - and now we're up to speed!

It's good to be home.

No comments: