Tuesday, November 08, 2005

African heritage reflections

Lately I've been missing my family, but I got an email update this morning from my aunt and it inspired me to write a little blog on all the lovely terms that I want to use, but can't because one I have a Canadian accent so it sounds horrible, and two because most people won't get what I'm saying. Here are a few of them (some of which my mother has been using for years):

  • bokkies - little boxes/pots
  • bakkie (pronounced bucky) - small pick-up truck
  • "Ag, shame!" - term use when anything goes wrong, or is cute, etc usually denoting a sympathetic feeling
  • woofie - term used most often by my aunt to describe dogs
  • stompie - small end of something, most often used to refer to the butts of cigarettes
  • Tot Siens - goodbye in Afrikaans
  • "Foertsek!!!" - basically the equivalent to "Buggar off!"
  • designer - term used most often by my aunt to descibe anything fancy
  • braai (pronounced br-eye) - barbequing meat over an open fire of hard wood
  • pommie - term used to refer to Brits (prisoners of mother England)
  • Mugabe - dictator who is ruining the state of Zimbabwe (oh wait, we can all used that one - had to get a jab in there)
  • mealie - green corn
  • robot - traffic light
  • podkos (pronounced pot-kor-ss)- snacks
  • sarmie (pronounced sah-mee) - sandwhich
  • naartjie (pronounced nar-chee) - name for a tangerine
  • Bobotie (pronounced buh-boor-tee) – traditional South African dish made with minced meat and curried spices, with an egg sauce which is poured on top and then baked.
  • muti (pronounced moo-tee) - medicine (usually referring to liquid forms taken orally)
  • slops/slip-slops - flip flops/thong sandals
  • cozzie/togs - swimming wear

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spelling
--------

boksies, tot siens, Foertsek, mielie. Some other ones I'm not too sure of. You're forgetting "lekker"?

-=- Some Joe Schmo -=-

girl said...

Thanks for the corrections, I've fixed stuff up a little. Some of the terms might just be weird family things.

Random thought, do I know you Joe?

Anonymous said...

All of them are pretty standard. I'm don't know "pommy", though.

Not as well as you should.

-=- Some Joe Schmo -=-

Anonymous said...

Thought Pommie was Aussie slang - guess it gets around in the southern hemisphere. Allegedly once stood for "prisoners of mother England" but there are other explanations considered more probable, and all of which I have for the moment quite forgotten.

UB