Friday, December 15, 2006

On fasting

Today I am fasting. Last Sunday, David gave and FT wide call to fast today as a sign of recommiting to God. Love the idea. The practical aspects, not so much.

This is only my second fast ever - the first I did right before my baptism. It was no fun, and it was a bad day in general. I didn't know what to expect, and well, I was a little let down, I think. I had always believed that in fasting I would have some sort of amazing experience where I could feel God near me. I though my life would be changed forever. I thought it was going to be more than in was. In fact, really, I was just hungry, dizzy and cranky.

Maybe that's a part of it. You have to be cranky and feel awful because the task is crappy. It's not meant to feel good, but rather show how much nicer it is when you do have the ability to eat. Today I don't feel nearly as bad as I could though. I'm surviving on nothing but water, and I feel prepared to do this.

Yes, I may complain a little, but it's just another moment to lay my life down and confirm - Yes, man does not live on bread alone.

No comments: