Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas sans mices...

It has been a little while since I've written last on my blog. I've been keeping busy with work and play, mostly work, but that's ok. Off work time has been mainly involving watching movies and wrapping prezzies so I would be ready for today (and she done good!)

However, there are a few highlights worth mentioning from the play side of things. The first was a evening of bands with my friend Shawn - we went to Supermarket to see a variety of bands, but mainly The Postage Stamps. The sound was great, though some of the bands weren't really quite as prepared as they could be. All the same, it was fun to see some new bands. We were pleasantly surprised by a band called The Rest, so much so that we bought the CD. I really enjoy it. I'm really glad I went - I just felt really bad I couldn't pay more attention to the Stamps though - by the time they came on it was almost 1 am, and we were tuckered out. Next time I promise to do better.

Secondly, I got to see Handel's Messiah with FT again. This year it was especially cool because it was actually a different Messiah - yep, it was Mozart's arrangement of Handel's Messiah. Very cool. Apparently, it was very common for people to comission other artists to revamp another composer's work to suit a different audience and what we heard was the product. It's very similar, but more upbeat and it has a lot more choral parts which I, of course, am a big fan off. There were quite a few recognizable "Mozart moments" that I noticed, as it tended to follow a similar style to Mozart's Missa Brevis that I used to sing with my choir in Kingston at Easter. Also, it was kinda neat because a girl I know from Queen's was in the choir, and I could spot her. Maybe next year I should join! :) After the show we all went to Marche and ate food - it was great to sit with Robby J, Sue and Lisa again and to drink Manhattan. It was a NYC moment. Loved it all.

That Sunday, the 17th, was also a special FT celebration. We had a Love Feast. This is something that was done for years, but hasn't happened in a while. Essentially, it's a big feast where all the LRs create a plate of food and we all serve each other. We were even lucky enough this year to share the experience with Grace Church Toronto, as we used their new space. It was very cool. Lots of good food, and all three pastors prepared a little mini-sermon and it was just in the right vein for Christmas. I'm really glad this happened and it worked so well.

That night, however, I did have a small adventure in my own house. I was woken up at 3:30am by scrabbling noises. Now, I live alone, so noises of this sort are all the more frustrating and bothersome. So I get up. Turn out the mice I though that I had gotten rid of have found the food outside my cupboard and were chowing down near my kitchen door. YUCK! In fact, they were so enjoying themselves that were looking straight at me. They finally scampered away, and I set to the task of cleaning up mice poo and half-eaten pasta. Then I set out poison. About 30 min later I hopped back into bed with a chance of two more hours of sleep. But it goes without saying that I couldn't fall asleep again. Sigh...but at least the mice were gone....right? Nope. Turn out they hit up my counter next because I'd left a couple of dirty pots there. Crap. Literally. But at least I didn't discover this until the next day...I guess. Moral of the story: never again will there be a dirty dish left on my counter!

Last week was pretty good. I got to spend two days hanging out with MB at work which was nice, as I very rarely get to see him. We chatted about a few different things, and we had lunch together. Very cool guy. On Thursday, I got to Ryan and Kevin together - we went to see The Primordials, Shawn's band, play at the Boat in Kensington. Very fun. Even rappa-loving-brotha Ry got to dancing. :) Friday night was spent in Oshawa with my girls, and Saturday I came to KW on the train. Serendipitously, I ended up having my friend Michelle who I have been trying to catch up with for months sit next to me, so we had a nice hour long chat. Very cool girl.

The rest of the week is Christmas. It's been good. It's nice to see family and to have some traditions, seeing as there has been a lot of change in my life as of late. The only downer is that Mum and Wends have been really sick, and now Dad's getting a scratchy throat. That is one thing I do not want this Christmas...so, here's hoping to staying well.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Now, I must depart, White Christmas is on TV, and well, it's just not Christmas until I've watched a few of my fav numbers.

God bless everyone!

No comments: