Thursday, February 01, 2007

I haven't felt much like posting

But I've been feeling a lot lately - it's been an emotional rollercoaster ride this week. Ups and downs at work, same in my personal life. It's like I'm trying to rub a shark the wrong way - I'm slightly confused as to what I'm doing, and sometimes it just hurts like hell (see science lesson below).

Science Lesson of the day on my favourite animal:
Did you know a shark's skin is really quite rough? It's made up a of a s a matrix of tiny, hard, tooth-like structures called dermal denticles or placoid scales. These denticles have a plate-like base supporting a main body composed of dentine with an enameloid capping and a central pulp cavity. Thing of them like curved, grooved teeth and make the skin a very tough armor with a texture like sandpaper. The apex of the denticles points toward the tail which is why a shark feels relatively smooth when stroked from head to tail, but rough when stroked in the opposite direction. These scales also help the shark swim more quickly because their streamlined shapes helps decrease the friction of the water flowing along the shark's body, by channeling it through grooves. Also, the shark's skin is so rough that contact with it can injure prey. Some people have been known to sustain cuts and injuries from being "bumped" by sharks. (Yes, I know this because I love sharks!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

emotional rollercoaster, you're telling me. oh wait, i was on the ride too.