Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm a terrible correspondent!


I've been thinking a lot lately about just how bad of a correspondent (and possibly long term friend) I am.

Let me explain what I mean.

I am a person who loves to meet new people and to forge new friendships.  Trouble is, I'm really bad a staying in touch with people when they aren't in my immediate circle.  For example, my good friends from Jets Go, who I no longer see on an almost daily basis, don't get nearly as many emails and correspondence from me as they should.  Why?  I'm not sure.  I think it's because I get very wrapped up in my immediate circumstances that I forget to send all the emails that I've intented.  Hating talking on the phone at length is also an issue.  I just can't pull off long hour long coversations over the phone like I used to in high school.  I mean, it does happen every now and then, but it's rare.

I ponder about this - mostly because these days I feel like I'm even struggling to keep up with friends in current life circle.  Life has changed a lot.  I planned a wedding, got married and changed where I live.  I've also undertaking 3 university courses that have to be done in a very short amount of time.  I don't have time for my husband, let alone for me and let alone for my friends.  And this bothers me.  

I know, I know.  Most people say "Forget about it!"  and "If they're your real friends, they'll understand".  But how long can I expect them to understand without sending out a little love?  One-sided relationships suck.  For serious.  

I guess I ponder about it because I don't want to be selfish.  I don't want to feel like my friends have to continue to care about me and love me when I'm not doing all in my power to love them.  But then again, right now, all that's in my power is the ability to say "I love you, and still care, I just need to get this shit done first".  

I'm torn.

1 comment:

ButterPeanut said...

I think they'll understand more than you think -- I had to crawl into a deep hole when I was writing up my thesis last year, and my Toronto friends were really there for me, and super patient, and overjoyed for me when I crawled out of the hole.

I had to get myself out of the mindset that saying no to party invites was some sort of sin...I dont know if you're in the same place, but for me it was actually *less* self-centered to learn to say no and stay home with the books.